Monday, September 28, 2015

Fun on the beach


Yesterday around six o'clock the little guy and I headed to the beach for a Sunday evening stroll. We brought his football and my camera. The two of us spent an hour together walking on the beach, chasing the football, playing in sand, looking at tiny shells and feathers. There was a little bit of seagull chasing and lots of giggling. He insisted on making a "sand castle" in the middle of the beach with dry sand. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his pile of sand wasn't a castle. He was so proud of his sand pile.



We live really close to the beach but we don't head down there super often. There are usually a lot of people there and honestly the beach is not nearly as fun or memorable when it's covered in bodies. Yesterday was perfect! It was an overcast evening with just enough slit in the clouds for a beautiful pre-sunset glow. The cool (but not cold) breeze seemed to be keeping the people away. Or maybe people have just stopped visiting the beach since it's officially autumn now. The waves were small but the sound of them was just loud enough to carry away every stray thought and calm ones mind. The sounds of seagulls calling to each other on the beach (or yelling at each other; seagulls are very feisty birds) and waves breaking on the shore are some of the most calming sounds I've ever known. It was the perfect evening. 






This little dude kept telling me, "this is my best day ever." He's very easily entertained but it was really a perfectly wonderful evening. Truly the both of us are pretty easily pleased. A beautiful sky, the soothing sounds of nature, calm quite fresh air out of doors by the lake, and fun, good quality time spent together; THAT is the most perfect of free fun!


The sky was overcast most of the evening. No one here was able to see the beginning of the eclipse but the clouds broke just in time. Shortly before the moon turned red there wasn't a cloud to be seen. My husband was at work but little Abe and I watched the red eclipsed moon together. Even though he does not understand what he saw it was pretty special.

6 comments:

  1. Those pictures are fantastic - you could be a photographer!!! I'll have to show Ted the moon picture - he tried to see it but it was cloudy so he was really bummed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Sue :) I used to take photos for people. I love taking photos... long story. I am not a people person and I always stressed out a lot before a shoot, never felt really comfortable at photo shoots and then I always expected a lot more from my photos then what I really put out. Not to mention I always took photos for pretty close friends and family and NEVER felt comfortable charging what the photos or my time was really worth.

      Delete
  2. Ted said that is one of the best pictures he has seen of the "red moon"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go that far by any means but I like the way it turned out. REALLY slow shutter speed. thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Your son is absolutely adorable! Glad you had fun at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much! He is SUCH a blessing. We really had a great time at the beach. He's so funny, I keep hearing him playing with his toys and they're all "going to the beach," now. It's the simple things!

      Delete