Tuesday, July 7, 2015

And Black Ninjas


I'm pretty sure I discuss money with the kiddo several times a week. I never say we're poor or short on money or anything of the sort. I never imply that we're lacking in anything. Despite not being able to buy some things I'd love to splurge on, I know that we are VERY blessed and we already have far more than is truly necessary. I do however mention on a fairly regular basis that an item is "expensive" and that we need to be respectful of that. For example, when he feeds our dogs organic graham crackers. We buy very good food for our dogs they DO NOT need organic graham crackers too!

Last night as my husband was heading off to work little Abe started to fuss and say, "I don't want daddy to go to work." This is a normal occurrence especially when the situation involves mommy leaving for work. I always tell him that mommy and daddy have to go to work in order to make money to buy things we need or want.

Last night I explained to him (again) that we have to pay money for the water that comes out of the sink (and so forth), we have to pay to have lights on in the house and we even have to pay for the house, and for the cars. And, as he fully knows, we have to pay money for the food we eat. He felt the need to add with the utmost emphasis and gusto, "AND black ninjas!"

"Exactly honey, mommy and daddy have to go to work to make money to pay for ninjas."

The ninjas are from the quarter machine at the dollar store. He gets one every time we go there (unless we forget to bring a quarter). They are truly a (silly) highlight to his little three year old life. It makes me giggle every time he says it but hey, I'm glad to know he has his priorities straight.

Average daily spending for 2015: $18.14

9 comments:

  1. Hey - he knows what his priorities are :) I can't believe you can even get anything for a quarter anymore!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really! They've up-ed most of the "quarter" machines to two quarters and most of them have absolute junk in them. The ninja machine is still just 25 cents and they're tiny but those little ninjas are a lot fun for a little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look kind of cute. It is a balance-enough about money and priorties, but not sharing too much too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is so important for everything. Trying to find that balance... so much work!
      :)
      I think they're cute too.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm starting to think he loves the thrill of getting a "new" one, and waiting to find out which color ninja is going to be in the little bubble, more than the actual ninjas but he does really like them and he plays with them a lot.

      Delete
    2. Yes! The thrill of getting the colors he wanted, and the agony of getting a pink one! Luckily, his sister gladly took those.

      Delete
  5. I remember when I still lived with my mom, thinking "wow that must really suck to have to pay for everything you use.." Now I like to remind my kids that everything costs money, from the food they eat to the water they drink and even the toilet paper they flush down the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he knows toilet paper costs money too. Between our dog getting into the bathroom and eating it and him unrolling it on the wall he's heard that mommy and daddy have to go to work to make money to pay for that.

      Delete