Sunday, October 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Tree Craft (Part 2)

The leaves are dried and pressed.
Today I taped a few pages of newspaper together and let my son paint them white.
After the paint dried I outlined a tree on the paper and cut it out.
Now the tree is hanging on the dining room wall.
We'll add one leaf every day until Thanksgiving with something written on it that we're thankful for.
This will probably be a Thanksgiving tradition for us for many years to come. Today we added two leaves. I asked little Abe what he was thankful for and he said, "mommy." Awe, melt my heart. I wrote his name on the second leaf because I didn't want to be up there without him.

Sparked by a fellow blogger's comment: Do you have any Thanksgiving holiday traditions?
Please comment if you do. It's a rather intriguing question since the Thanksgiving holiday can just be considered a big meal to those outside the US.

4 comments:

  1. That looks lovely! What other traditions are associated with Thanksgiving? Insofar as I had thought about it I had thought it was just a meal. (I'll crawl back under my rock.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You don't have to crawl under any rocks. You are absolutely right It's mostly a big meal but generally with a big family gathering too.

      Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because it is probably my absolute favorite meal of the year, I just love the fall time so much and it's right in the heart of it, and it begins the Christmas season but there isn't all the stress and pressure associated with Thanksgiving like there generally is with Christmas.

      I generally try and write a few "thanksgiving" notes each year to people that I care about and who I'm thankful for. That's my very own thanksgiving tradition and I love it! I always make several people cry with my notes of thanks; I guess that shouldn't bring me such joy, hehe. This thanksgiving tree idea I've seen people do with little kids but I've never done it. So it's certainly not a common tradition here. I'm looking forward to making it a tradition in our house though.

      Delete
  2. Awww, "mommy"... You're awesome, and I want someone to do this tree tradition with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a lot of fun. And luckily it turned out looking mostly how I'd imagined. I've only seen it done with construction paper leaves and a construction paper tree. Trying to be frugal and work with what we had I came up with this little fellow.

      I think seeing as you lived in the US you could get away with celebrating Thanksgiving each year, and I think you'll have someone to do a similar craft with in not a very long time :)

      Delete