Monday, September 1, 2014

Rambling About Dinner

One of my goals for spicing life up last week was to make a new dinner. I sort of marked that one off the list today. My husband is NOT a fan of "different" meals so I made one of his absolute favorites and switched it up a little bit. I made mini chicken meatloaves, garlic and parmesan mashed potatoes and carrots, and corn on the cob. I've been trying to think of creative ways to use the tomatoes so I cut my meatloaf in half, topped half with mashed potatoes, put tomato slices on top and then did the same layering one more time. I topped it with shredded cheese and melted the cheese in the oven. My husband does not like casseroles so we never eat them. I considered this little creation a casserole of sorts (yeah, I know, not the same thing).

Those are all tomatoes from my garden.
For dessert I made bread pudding with vanilla custard. My husband loves bread pudding but I was not raised on it so I've never much eaten it let alone made it. Frugally challenged over at Trundling Through Life mentioned a "summer pudding" in her latest post. I had to google that to see what it was and although it's a totally new food to me I was somehow inspired by it to make a bread pudding for my hubby this evening. I will tell you I'm so glad that I did. It turned out great, so yummy and the vanilla custard is amazing!


I love that I'm 34 years old but I can still find totally new things to do and totally new things to experience all the time. Happy and full here right now! 

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! How do you make a chicken meatloaf? Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store I shop at sells ground chicken next to the ground turkey. It's a bit less expensive and we feel like it has a little stronger flavor. I usually use ground chicken in place of ground beef.

      Delete
  2. And I love the fact that I am 62, thousands of miles away from you and we can communicate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's really neat. I definitely consider you a friend.

      Delete